Monday 13 June 2011

IN THE BEGINING

Early on in life I knew I wanted to ‘do my own thing’, I’d thought the best course was to do some sort of craft (as I’m a ‘crafty’ person and love to make things), so I decided to major in architecture. The plan was to attend school for 5 years, get a degree in architecture, work with a very talented and/or gifted architect for about four years and then start my own thing in the back office of my home. i'd be designing beautiful homes for people at my own time and pace, selling off these drawings and earning myself an income.
Alas this was not to be, 11 years down the line I’m sitting at my desk at the prestigious law firm I work, conducting research on the Lagos State Money Lenders Certificate for a client company we registered. So yeah I’m a lawyer, doing my job as best as I can with a budding jewelry company on the side. I call it a company but it’s actually just a registered name and my innate skills, as I don’t make jewelry that often and I don’t market myself at all. It’s hard knowing that you’re in your late 20’s and not living the life you had anticipated.
I keep thinking about known brands (my favourite) Tiffany’s , Marc Jacobs, Chris Aire (a Nigerian jewelry designer) and wondering what it took for them to establish themselves as well known brands. I always believed in starting with a bang; perfect boxes and high quality pieces..... which end up expensive *sigh*, this hasn’t paid off in the last six years, so I’m eating my words and deciding to create small scale pieces and gradually move up in scale, extravagance and quality.
I’m not to waiting till I’ve got the perfect labradorite and onyx necklace but will start with cute dainty earrings and easy to sell pieces. I’m hoping to gradually build my capital and client base.

This is a memoir of all I learn, adapt and use towards growing the perfect business.

I’m hoping it works out.

No comments:

Post a Comment